Jumping Ship

Music? On Fire - Switchfoot
Mood? Encouraged


This week has been different and unique from every other week I have been here. First of all I have driven back and forth from New Orleans more than ever this week. It has been crazy. I haven't been to a lot of ships this week but then again this has been an easier week. I went to the Carnival Conquest Cruise Ship on sunday and Philip and I ministered there. On monday I went to the Holiday Cruise Ship, which was a lot smaller and a lot different than the Conquest, but the crew was also a new experience. There is a Jamaican guy named Martin who feels so alone on the Holiday. He hasn't met any other Christians on the ship. It is very hard for him. On the Conquest a Pilipino guy named Jeffery leads a Bible study once a week for whoever wants to sacrifice sleep time to join it. There is such a huge difference. Martin is a very genuine guy and I envy Jared, because he gets to see him whenever the Holiday comes in. Martin just lifts my spirit in general. He lets me know that there are people who need us and there is a real reason for what we do, and "we are not just a glorified taxi service" (in the words of Philip). So, that was a very interesting day.
Last saturday night was odd, because I have never had a guy jump ship (desert the ship), but a guy did from the Burmese ship the M/V VIBORG. The 2nd mate said that only crazy men jump ship. So, I am very worried about him and I know that it might not make sense to us, but he thinks that he will find a better life here. This made me think and I have found that we take so much for granted, everything we have... our cars, our clothes, our homes, our lives in general.
Well, wednesday was supposed to be my day off, but since the guys from the VIBORG couldn't get off the ship because that one guy jumped ship, I went shopping for them, because Chris was in New Orleans to meet with Philip. However, I still got to go see Spider-Man 2 and it was pretty good, that was almost all of my spare time this week.
The rest of the week I spent with another Jonathan. He is a troubled kid who has been arrested twice and he is only 16. He is going into the 11th grade. I am worried about him, I am afraid that he will end up like my uncle that I never knew. I don’t want that or wish that for anybody. He has a similar interest in music with me and because of that I am able to relate well to him.
On thursday, he and I went down to New Orleans and picked up the old ’78 Chevy pickup that the mission owns. We had to jump it off and it took a while, because the starter is almost dead and so is the battery. But it was fun to drive, it is a column stick and I enjoyed driving it immensely. We picked up four parking bumpers for the center and headed back that way. Then, later on we went back and picked up the van. That was about all I did this week, except for the weekend. Saturday Chris and I finished straightening up the center, although we still can’t figure out where to put this green couch from the ‘70s in the center, we don’t have a place for it.
Then people started coming to watch the fireworks over the Mississippi River. They were shot off a barge pretty much right in front of the Center. So that was pretty cool. Ron, Kerry, Haley, Landry, and JB were there too. It was really nice.
Sunday I went to First Baptist New Orleans, of course I was late because I had to go by the center for a few Tagalog Bibles for the Conquest. I found out that the summer missionaries from Rachel Sim’s were there about 15 min after I sat down and after the cruise ship, where Philip and I ministered, I was able to hang out with them for a long while. I was very encouraged by that experience, even though I got home very late last night. We went and watched the fireworks behind Harrah’s over the Mississippi. These were even better than in Reserve. Marvin, a little kid from the Rachel Sim’s mission watched the whole show sitting on my shoulders. There was a group from Austin, TX at Rachel Sim’s and I hope I will be able to hang out with that group and the missionaries before they leave.
At the Conquest, Philip and I met several guys that were new and were able to connect with Jeffrey and several others that are involved in the fellowship there. I was so encouraged by their friendships and their commitment to the fellowship.
Well, I’m sitting here in the trailer on my day off because of the 4th. I really needed the sleep and to clean up, which I am proud to say is almost done. I hope you’re having a good week too.
PS Be in prayer for Jonathan and for the Burmese man who jumped ship.

1 Response to "Jumping Ship"

  • Anonymous Says:

    finally found your blog...you should tell us about this stuff sometime so we can be praying for y'all. i love you and miss you and really appreciate you listening to me talk on Sunday night. i'll pray for you and your friend Jonathan, i know what you mean there. stay safe and thanks for calling... ALH